Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fire

The fires in southern California are still burning and hundreds of homes have perished. The winds are supposed to die down soon and hopefully the fires will be controlled.

The fires remind me of my childhood in Whitethorn in the 40s. Amazingly I don't recall any fires during the years I was there except for a small mill that went up in flames. Ironically enough we kids built many campfires during the hot summers. We used them to cook small fish we had caught and bake potatoes we brought from home. We all knew how to make fires safe and we never left a a campfire without churning it up and covering it with dirt. Most of the time our fires were on the gravel shore of the the Matole River but sometimes they were in the redwoods or in my backyard.

Copywright 2008

No comments: