Saturday, November 8, 2008

Keep YOUR TOES flexible and out in front


I am back. I have been so caught up in the election, I have not had time or interest in my blog. I am currently trying to recover from a fall I took on my recent visit to Humboldt County, trying to climb down some big boulders on the banks of Bull Creek. Having played as a child on these same banks, I forgot I was approaching seventy. I happily enjoyed stepping from one boulder to another when I tumbled down the bank. I did not break a bone so I must still have strong bones, but I did suffer multiple bruises on my legs and arms. Everything is now alright, except for my left shin bone. It is still swollen and bruised and aches if I walk around the house very much.

One important thing I learned about this fall. I stepped on the ball of my foot rather than using my toes. For the past few months I have been working on using my toes when I walk. According to some experts a major cause of falls in the elderly is losing the use of toes when walking. I learned this when I discovered I was inexplicably falling when leaning over a pot of flowers. I was not using my toes for balance as I did naturally when I was younger. I now realize when I took the fall I was slightly nervous and must have scrunched up my toes and landed on the ball of my foot. Not having the support of the all valuable toes, I toppled down the pile of boulders.

Be careful out there. Keep your toes flexible and out in front.

No comments: