Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Church and the Bar

The church and the bar in Whitethorn were always at odds. The Pentecostal Church members often hoped that the bar would close. They believed that drinking and dancing were sins. They were also concerned that the bar was a place where "backsliders" might resume their sinful ways and begin drinking and dancing again.

The people who frequented the bar were often hostile about what they felt was unfair judgement by the church members. One defender of the bar stated, "The bar is the only other place where people can get together and visit. George and Virginia do a nice job of running it. Virginia cooks good meals in the restaurant and families bring their children to eat and have a coke. Living a good life is fine but rolling on the floor and babbling in tongues is another thing."

A defender of the church claimed that some people didn't understand the teachings of Jesus. "Everyone makes fun of us because some church members roll on the floor. Rolling on the floor and speaking in tongues means Jesus has baptized you with the Holy Spirit and you are saved."

Since my family were members of the bar and my best friend was a member of the church, I visited the bar regularly and went to church every week. As I look back on my life I realize the teachings of the church actually did "save" me. I have never been a drinker and I have never smoked cigarettes. I did not engage in sexual intercourse until my wedding night. I was able to avoid these behaviors because of the Pentecostal Church.

My family moved to civilization when I was twelve. In my teens I joined the Methodist church, was baptized and sang in the choir. I quit the church in my early twenties and lost most of my faith when my unborn baby died when I was 8 months pregnant.

Copyright 2009 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: