Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dogs, Compost, and Schools

For the past year, I have been feeling slightly guilty because I was not making compost with my garbage scraps. Little did I know that a compost pile could kill my two beautiful long-haired Chihuahuas. Last week, a friend of mine almost lost her beloved big dog when it got into a neighbors yard and ate compost. Apparently, compost breeds some kind of poisonous mold as it decomposes. Who woulda thunk it? If I do get around to composting, I will put it in a container.

So many times our good intentions and actions hold one of those infamous unintended consequences. Another example of these tricks of nature occurred in the seventies when so many people built their homes and other buildings with large glass windows and stone. As a school psychologist,I used to serve a school built with these "odes to nature". Now, I realize it must cost a fortune to keep the students warm in the winter, wasting our precious resources.

Another interesting and frightening innovation was building schools in non-traditional patterns. No longer built in predictable sequencing, I used to get lost trying to find a given classroom. God help the students or teachers if a medical emergency occurred.

Copyright 2009 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: