Friday, March 13, 2009

Champion Race Horse

My mother bought me a cute little strawberry roan mare for my ninth birthday. She was a good kids horse and I rode her all over Whitethorn. I loved her but I longed for a horse that could run fast.

In 1964 I started raising Appaloosas. These horses had a marvelous history. Chief Joseph and his tribe raised Appaloosas and rode them in their mad dash for Canada trying to escape the US soldiers. The Indians were caught just miles from the border where Chief Joseph gave his eloquent surrender speech. "As the sun now stands I will fight no more forever."

Tragically the soldiers slaughter over a thousand of the tribes beautiful spotted horses. The rest of the horses scattered and they bred with the mustangs, draft horses, and other breeds. Eventually, horse lovers collected and bred the descendants of Chief Joseph's horses and formed the National Appaloosa Horse Club.

In 1984 one of my mares foaled a filly I named Cari Double. The next few years were the happiest of my life. I hired a trainer and Cari Double raced for two years becoming a National Champion Appaloosa race mare. What a thrill. I finally had my fast horse.

Copyright 2009 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: