Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sick Horses

When I lived in Whitethorn my horse never got sick. I had no idea a horse could get a cold. But once I moved to Santa Rosa, California, a sick horse was routine. There were many horses in Sonoma County and I often took my horse to horse shows where they caught various colds and other diseases. In order to save money, I soon learned how to give penicillin shots to them but it sometimes took weeks for a horse to get well.

I also learned to shoe horses, a task that was never needed in Whitethorn where my horse was traveling on dirt roads and open fields. Down here in civilisation I had to ride my horses on the paved roads or on the gravel trails beside the roads, quickly wearing their tough hooves down to the quick.

Copyright 2009 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: