Thursday, March 12, 2009

Free Range

When I was living at Whitethorn (Thorn) there were very few fences resulting in what was called free range. My horse Stardust roamed the Whitethorn valley at will. This was great because I didn't have to feed her.

Today, here in Santa Rosa, I have paid up to several hundred dollars a month for each horse. Having a horse is no longer a choice for children who have parents with low or average income. It is a real shame. Having a horse was so helpful to my early development. I learned to take responsibility for my horse and I gained self-esteem for being able to ride and control such a big strong animal.

Interestingly enough horseback riding is almost exclusively a girls game. You see very few boys riding in horse shows. However, the males suddenly appear on the horse scene when they are in their early twenties. I don't know where they come from since most of them were absent as boys. But when they hit 21, they are out on the tracks riding race horses, roping cattle and riding in rodeos and Olympic equestrian events.

Copyright 2009 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: