Thursday, December 11, 2008

Am I part Indian?

Since my father looked like an Indian, I have always wondered if I too am part Indian. I have studied my genealogy for a number of years and I have found that my fathers grandfather, George Henry Porter was not part Indian, but my grandfather, a son of Cassie Ellen Courtright may have had an Indian ancestor and/or Spanish. So my search still goes on.

I have recently discovered that my great grandmother Mary Jane Johnson, who married my Grandfather Amos Doers in 1881, had her first child out of wedlock. It is not clear if this child is a son of Amos or not. This comes as a big surprise to me. Imagine living with a man you are not married to in the 1880's. Mary always told the family that her mother died in childbirth (not true) and nobody cared enough to keep track of her birth. She essentially indicated that she had no real family. I later learned through decedents of Mary's brother and sister that her mother did not die giving birth to Mary. Apparently, Mary did not want her children or grandchildren to know she lived with Amos for a year or so when she was not married to him.

I also just found out that one of my great great great? Grandmother's, on Mary's side, was raped by her father. However, the worst thing I learned was Mary's family had a strong gene for depression, bipolar, and anxiety disorders. Almost every family member for generations have been plagued by this disease. Sure enough I have the disease and so have numerous living relatives.

My mother Ruby, always told me that Mary was a very beautiful woman who she remember as being extremely patient. However, at her death bed she told my mother that she had never had a happy day in her life. IT'S A NO BRAINER. SHE WAS DEPRESSED!

To close on a happier note. My mother's family were also extremely intelligent, artistic and musical. They had a wonderful sense of humor and laughed a lot, when they were not depressed. LOL

Copyright 2008

No comments: