Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Holidays

Today is Christmas. I am celebrating here in Santa Rosa, California. Its been many years since I enjoyed Christmas in Whitethorn. I remember when I was 9 or 10 years old we had snow for Christmas. What a wonder. I made a little sled and tied it up to my horses saddle horn and had her pull me through the snow. Although it was great fun, the sled wasn't built very well and the horse didn't like pulling it so the whole event didn't last very long.

At Christmas time my stepfather sometimes fired up the generator that could provided electricity to our house. He didn't do it very often because he was afraid the wiring wasn't good and the house might burn down. But for a night or two we celebrated with brightly colored lights. The rest of the year we used Coleman lanterns and the dimmer coal oil lamps.

My favorite Christmas presents were a bebe gun, a halter for my horse and a book about the Black Stallion. Whenever my mother bought me a Black Stallion book I would stay up all night reading it from cover to cover. Since she didn't want me to read all night I often covered up my head and turned on a flashlight. The worst present was a doll. I always hated dolls but my mother never seemed to get the message.

Copyright 2008 Sharon Porter Moxley

No comments: