Friday, December 19, 2008

How Much Wood Would a Wood Rat Chew if the Wood Rat Would Had Wood?

Skip the question. It's just a way of introducing my tale of the Wood Rat's nests. When I was out exploring the mountains, I sometimes came upon the glorious sight of a Wood Rat's nest. The nests were huge. Many were four or five feet tall and three or four feet wide. They were made of all sorts of sticks and leaves and seemed quite mysterious to my young mind. My friends and I sometimes dug the whole thing down, excitedly looking for its inhabitants. Much to our disappointment we never found a thing. I guess the rats had an escape route and were long gone once we had set to leveling its home. Poor rat. One thing for sure there exists nothing like a giant nest to excite the imagination of kids who live here in the city of Santa Rosa, California. In a way it is unfortunate. The discovery of a giant nest might keep some of them out of trouble.

Copyright 2008 Sharon Porter Moxley

If you want to visit my actual blog in color, rather than E-mail, go to my blogsite:
http://lifewithloggers.blogspot.com/ I am soon going to post photos of some of the people who lived in Thorn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your life in Whitethorn. I would love to get a copy of your book True Tales of Whitethorn.